Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

Saturday, November 29, 2008

11/29/08 The Darien Insider Speaks Out



THE DARIEN INSIDER REPORTS





DEAR DARIEN ROUNDUP

I was tempted to address last weeks DARIEN TIMES pathetic cover story and agree with the letters to the editor. But, since this is Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to focus my efforts on a REAL STORY OF HOPE. I still feel compelled to offer my cynical thoughts on last week's headlines.....ahhh, but I will do it in the next few days. I promise.







The theme, "Never, never, never, give up" was from Winston Churchill. And from Mikey Czech.....another hero.

This weekend, The Darien Sport Shop and Darien's Chamber of Commerce, is paying tribute to an 11 year old boy who lost his batttle to cancer a couple of months ago.

Mikey Czech, of New Canaan, died on Sept 7 2008. Although I do not know his family personally, I have had the opportunity to witness an extraordinary story develop over the past year.

The parishioners of St. Aloysius Parish in New Cannan prayed for this boy throughout the duration of his illness. The New Canaan Public Schools, where Mikey attended, also prayed for him. The students at St. Aloysius School prayed for him daily. I remember the day his family and friends gave out "Stay Strong Mikey" bracelets, just like the "LIVESTRONG" ones. I remember how this one young girl, holding a basket, smiled at me, and said "thank you" for taking a bracelet. I remember putting it on my wrist along with the rest of my family. It was a hard hitting reminder for me.

In September, an entire town mourned with the Czech family. There is no doubt, Mickey's death is tragic, and the Czech family is understandably heartbroken. I know this feeling personally and, too often, I struggle to find reasons to be hopeful or to just find simple meaning. None of us are immune to tragedy. It has, or it will, touch every one of us during our lives. I have seen a life cut short in my own family from cancer, and I wore a LIVESTRONG bracelet for almost 2 years. I forced myself to give the eulogy I knew I had to give. No tears, no regrets, no anger. I spoke of celebrating a life that had meaning. Every life gives and has great meaning, whether it be as short as 2 years, or 11 years.

This weekend, the Town of Darien, is reaching out to celebrate the life of Mikey Czech. Notably, The Darien Sport Shop and the Zangrillo family. The Sport Shop is donating profits to the Mikey Czech Foundation, for medical research in pediatric cancer. The residents of the Town of Darien is extending a hand, to its bordering neighbor, New Canaan. The annual Christmas tree lighting, will be dedicated in celebration of this young man's life.

Admittedly, this Thanksgiving Day, began like the past few holidays have. I woke up and I immediately wished my whole family was going to be there to celebrate with us. But, it's not possible anymore. Then, I wondered if my feelings of loss would ever go away. I thought, probably not. Then I heard about Mickey Czech and The Darien Sport Shop. It most definitely caught my attention. I couldn't believe it. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

The Czech family may not understand this now, but they will in time. Their story of personal tragedy, brought hope to mine. I don't pretend to know why, but it really did. To often, it is very easy to forget to be thankful and sometimes easier to concentrate on my self-absorbed, negative, thoughts. Their story made me think of what really matters, and what I have to be thankful for. For that, I wish to thank them. I will continue to keep them and their son in my prayers.

And to the Darien Sport Shop, Zangrillo family, and the Darien Chamber of Commerce, thank you for being a model of unselfish compassion. What a perfect way to start the Christmas season!

-TheDarienInsider

=================================================



Please send your comments to DarienRoundup@gmail.com










No comments:

The Raw Darien Blog And RSS Feed